The Ministry of Environment continues to support and strengthen the efficiency of solid waste management
(MGO) - To further strengthen the local officials to manage solid waste more effectively, the Ministry of Environment has continued to support local administrations by equipping them with additional equipment and skills training to move towards effective and efficient urban solid waste management.
Sources from the Ministry of Environment said that up to now, the Ministry of Environment has equipped 50 solid waste incinerators to 21 capitals and provinces (49 districts). The installation of solid waste incinerators is an urgent step while the technical management of solid waste with proper garbage bins, adequate means of transportation, and technical landfills is a strategic measure of the policy on solid waste disposal to manage urban solid waste.
Within this framework, the Ministry of Environment provided
- 17 garbage trucks to 9 provinces (15 municipalities and districts).
- 118 garbage tuk-tuk to 21 provinces (54 municipalities and districts).
- 2 tractors for collecting garbage to Sihanoukville.
- 68 large garbage bins (5-11 tons) to 8 provinces.
- 500 categorized trash bins to the public park, Win-Win Memorial, Borey Peng Huoth, and schools.
- 91 water filter machines to 5 provinces (15 municipalities and districts) and schools.
- Garbage collection package within the framework of the project to promote a conducive environment for sustainable development to 25 capitals and provinces (50 water filter machines and 300 garbage bins).
- 3 training courses for sub-national administration within the framework of democratic development reform at the sub-national level.
At the same time, the Ministry of Environment has provided technical training to local officials by
- Giving the ability to sub-national administrations to take the ownership to manage their solid waste at their respective bases.
- Strengthening the capacity of sub-national administration to manage solid waste at the local with high efficiency.
- Improving the quality of the environment to participate in sustainable economic and social development.
After the intervention of the Ministry of Environment, it is observed that four sub-national administrations have been implementing policies on urban solid waste management include: Banteay Srei (Siem Reap), Prey Veng Municipality and Svay Antor District (Prey Veng Province), and Ou Reang Ov District (Tbong Khmum Province).
Meanwhile, Preah Sihanouk Municipality and Prey Nob District (Preah Sihanouk province), Anlong Veng District (Oddar Meanchey province), Snuol District (Kratie province), and Pichreada District (Mondulkiri province) are moving towards effective solid waste management in the future.
The Ministry of Environment advised people to participate in packing their garbage properly and sorting garbage by their type as well as avoiding littering which affects the beauty and great atmosphere of the environment.
Images source: AKP